Wednesday 4 November 2009

Project 2, Term 1: Mapping S.E.5

Project: S.E.5
Duration: 2 Weeks

Brief:

A visual representation of a place and its dynamics on a plane surface by means of linkage.

You are required to explore locations in and around S.E.5. Research, describe, record, document. Map an aspect of S.E.5.
Make work that describes the links to your chosen themes/areas.

You may only use one piece of A0 paper throughout the project!

The end product must take form of a folded map. Be imaginative with the outcomes you produce. Consider the context.

Process:

I started by thinking of different ways in which i could fold my map, as i didn't want to start writing on the paper without knowing which way to read it. I found this quite a frustrating task, as i wasn't sure how i should do it i looked in the book Encyclopedia of paper - folding designs (copyright 2001) P.I.E BOOKS, Tokyo, Japan.
This gave me some inspiration but i wasn't sure how i could relate it to the size A0 paper, so i left it. In the end i just starting folding and cutting into the paper.

I then spent the next few days walking around Camberwell making notes on the area, how i feel in the area, rubbings of different textures and taking photos.

After collecting this information, i planned out where i would put it on the map and plan what would go on it.

This is a photo of my final piece:


Evaluation:

I have mixed emotions about my final piece because there are some aspects i like; which include the hand rendered Denmark Jill section, the road markings and the rubbings. The aspects i don't like are the layout of the map, the photos and the way i have presented the rubbings.

Improvements:

I think to make this piece more aesthetically pleasing and effective, i should have really considered one theme of the map instead of several ones. I also should have considered hand rendering all of the pictures and develop the rubbings.

No comments:

Post a Comment